Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] SCALA, etc.
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 17:36:06 -0500

At 01:41 PM 24-03-98 -0500, Art Peterson wrote:

>     David,
>
>     Many years ago in school I had some experience developing and printing
>     my own pictures, and so I can understand and agree with the points you
>     make (below).  But as one who can now afford neither the equipment nor
>     even the space for a darkroom, I would like to ask you, and any other
>     LUG member who may wish to offer advice, how a photographer like Henri
>     Cartier-Bresson (who I've heard did not do any darkroom work) achieved
>     the magnificent prints that he did.
>
>     Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Get to know a master printer, and work with him/her over a long period of
time.  This is probably better than a good photographer but mediocre
darkroom worker trying to muddle through with making the prints himself.

Off the top of my head I can think of Robert Maplethorpe and Helmut Newton
who relied on others for their printing.  There are probably many other
examples.

Dan C.