Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 18:14:46 -0500

At 12:05 PM 22-03-98 -0500, B.D. wrote:
>One of the most refreshing things about this list has been the utter lack
>of flaming, until I apparantly foolishly asked the question about UV filters.
>
>Now, would someone out there have the kindness to tell me whether, in the
>real world, where images are being blow up to 11x14 on rare occassion, and
>more normally are in the 5x7 to 8x10 range, whether the image degredation
>caused by a good quality UV filter outweighs the peace of mind of having
>full-time protection for a piece of glass in the 800-1500 range? [snip]

You were just in the unfortunate position of asking a question that just a
month or 2 ago was a raging storm on the list.  Some poeple say that you
should only use filters when you need to filter the light, that a lens hood
is protection enough for the front lens element which has a hard coating,
in any case.  Others say use them always to protect the lens.  Under
certain lighting conditions, filters may contribute towards flare in the
picture.  In my personal opinion, I sleep better at night knowing that I
have a litle protection on my multi-thousand dollar lenses.  Maybe I am
crazy, maybe not.  But I have never seen with and without filter
comparisons that demonstrate the detrimental effects of filters.

I think that everyone will agree that for most situations, an UV filter
will have no noticeable effect on the photograph.

Dan C.