Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposure range of commercial film
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:58:43 -0500

Greg,
If you are using B&W film, a thicker emulsion film, like Plus-X or Neopan
and judicious use of under and over development, along with a good variable
contrast paper will get you up to 15-16 steps. I use a Kodak step tablet,
uncalibrated, as a guide for setting up my paper and the filtration for
different ranges of gray. I also use a meter in the darkroom to check the
range of the negative, and have used a modified zone system to get different
ranges of gray on the film. I used a target to set up the development time
consisting of a gray scale, a white card, a black card and a gray card. I
shoot short lengths of film at different EI, then develope each at a
different time, noting the range in a notebook for later reference. It is a
bit time consuming, but you can get your figures in an afternoon, and once
you do, thaey are good for that particular film/developer combination.
Color? Not easy. I work in a lab, and since most processing of film and
paper is done with very closely monitored temperature and time combinations,
there really is no "Pulling or Pushing" of color film. Even when I did it by
hand, I had irregular and unpredictable results.
I do use Kodaks Gold Max when I have some difficult situations. It
incorporates what Kodak calls DIR, or Developer Inhibitor Release. My
understanding is that if you over expose the film, say at ISO100 or 200
instead of the rated 800, the emulsion releases a developer inhibitor in
those overexposed areas, and this in turn keeps the highlights from burning
in or being blocked. We have had many problems before where some one with a
disposable camera gets too close to a subject, with a dark background, snaps
a shot and the face is a dense overexposed blob, and the background on the
film is very thin. High range of contrast, and very hard to print. Gold max
seems to resist this and areas of high luminance record a proportiantely
lower density. The DIR also means that the grain size for overexposed Gold
Max is actually FINER! I usualy shoot it at ISO 400 and print it on Kodak
Royal VII paper, and can get pretty good tonal representation. From my
experience, this film shortens the scale, becoming less contrasty with
overexposure. So far it is the only film to do this. I don't like the color
rendition as much as I do with Kodak Vericolor, or PMC400 but like I said,
it works well in difficult situations, and better than anyother film I have
used.
I might add that I did some Kodam T-Max 400 in a two part D-76 developer,
shooting at ISO 100 to 800; the density of the graycard in each frame was
within 10% of each other! They were all thin, and could have been done on
grade 3 paper, but it was as if the film could not be overexposed!
If you want to try that, I can e-mail you the developer recipe ( I got it
out of the 1947 Chemistry and Physics Handbook, published by the U.S. Rubber
Co.!)
Good Luck,
Dan'l
dwpost@msn.com