Subject: Re: [Leica] use of circular polarizer
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:33:28 -0500

Linear Polarizers:
This works with a linear polarizer, but since the angle of the light can
affect the amount of light passing through it and another polarizing layer
(semi-silvered mirrors, et al.) they are not recommended for many cameras
with off the film metering or where the light passes through the mirror,
hits the shutter curtain and then is reflected to the floor of the mirror
box where the light sensitive device can usually be found.

Turning a circular polarizer will show minimal changes yet it does polarize
the light to a certain and different way. Since there is no great change n
light transmitted, regardless of angle of incidence, the sky doesn't get
dark and the meter of most cameras with TTL and OTF metering doesn't shift
readings as the filter is turned. The lights from glare and certain specular
highlights is diminished, however, as this type of reflected light is
polarized circularly. The sky light for all practical purposes, in passing
though the atmosphere, is passing through a LARGE linearly polarized filter-
about 200 km of atmosphere. Incident light seems to be polarized linearly if
at all, and reflected light is polarized circularly.
This was somewhat how a physicist explained it to me, only he did a better
job!
Do a few tests around water, glass, and shiny bald heads! You will see a
difference!
dwpost@msn.com