Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:17:54 -0800

B D Colen asked about "protective" filters.

This has been a topic of discussion many times on the LUG.  It all comes
down to most Leica lenses being designed with their own front element of
glass that should face world without a filter in front of it.  A filter may
offer protection from salt spray and soot and should be used in conditions
that would otherwise abrade your lens.  However, for most photography, the
filter may cause flare and accentuate other optical aberrations -
especially when shooting wide open with very wide aperture lenses.  It
sames a shame to buy good Leica lenses and then put a filter in front that
would never have been put there by the lens designer.

Many camera shops recommend protective filters since it is a good profit
maker for them.  I think the best protector I have used with Leica lenses
is the custom designed lens hood that usually comes with the lens.  It
helps to prevent banging the front lens element and shields the lens from
stray light.

If you must use a filter, go ahead with the knowledge that you sacrifice
something optically.  If your piece of mind is what is most important, use
a filter and don't worry about it.  But don't tell Jim Brick <bg>.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA