Subject: [Leica] OFF-TOPIC: Alf and his Contax II
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:43:53 -0500

At 12:54 PM 3/14/98 +0100, Alf Bruell, a normally conscientious soul, erred
in writing:
>I'm looking for an unemployed and lonely Contax II (without
>lightmeter), with or without lens, from the 50ies,

Argh.  We can try and try and try to teach them, but the first time we let
'em out in public they embarrass themselves ...

There weren't any 'Contax II' cameras made in the '50's.  The last regular
production cameras were the 'O' series of 1940, though a few may have been
made during the War.  The destruction of the old ICA works in the Dresden
firebombing caused a small assembly line to be set up at the main Carl
Zeiss Jena works which produced the 'Jena' Contax from 1945 to 1948, but
these are quite rare and bear a hefty collector's premium.  Starting in
'51, the West German Zeiss Ikon firm, based in the old Contessa-Nettel
works in Stuttgart, began producing the Contax IIa, an entirely different
design.

Nor were there any Contax II cameras made with light-meters.  The metered
models are the III (Prewar) and IIIa (Postwar).

These puppies are fairly common, and lack a lot of the distinguishing marks
which make Leica lore so fascinating to the collector.  Expect to pay
around $175 for a II, $200 for a III, $225 for a IIa, and $275 for a IIIa,
all in E+ condition.  The nice angle from the Leica user's perspective is
that most Contax lenses cost substantially less than their Leitz
counterparts, the stunningly fine 1.5/50 Sonnar, for instance, generally
costing around $125 to $175, while a Summarit would be twice that.

The shutters are not as reliable as the Leica shutters but are not nearly
as bad as their reputation -- in its heyday, the Contax was the accepted
camera for rough-country travel, being the documentary camera, for
instance, on the '53 Mount Everest climb.  And the light-meters are
relatively accurate, relatively reliable, and easily repaired if they fail.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!