Subject: [Leica] ALL THAT JAZZ
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 02:38:47 -0500

Many of you have been following my permutations with this jazz assignment I
have, to shoot a jazz combo over six months or so, and to provide 8" by 10"
prints on order.

Lots and lots of you gave advice, all of which was digested and pondered,
and thanks to those who offered aid!  But my friend Mike Fletcher, a
professional Leica and Hasselblad shooter in St Louis, simply snorted and
said, said he:  "TMZ and Rodinal, 1:25 at 8 minutes".  I spluttered and
said, "But Rodinal gives GRAIN!"  And he said, "try it".

I did, and he was right.  Wonderful negatives, albeit a bit thin.  Tonal
range, contrast, sharpness, not even objectionable grain.  A thousand times
better than TMZ in D-76 or T-Max Developer.

Now, I am rapidly working on a portfolio and I MAY (note the MAY!) turn
this into a book at some point, just to shock those among our number who
believe I can only comment on lens production runs and modification dates
for third-pin lenses for the Argamatic Mark IX.  I may HAVE the world's
most archaic set of cameras for a professional, but I DO shoot with these
suckers!

TMZ (aka, Kodak's T-Max P3200) is only available in miniature-format, so we
are damned to use it in our 35mm cameras.  If it were available in MF, I
would be blasting away on Rolleiflex TLR or Hasselbald, cheerfully.

And Ilford is to produce a Delta 3200:  B&H has announced it, though Ilford
is yet to acknowledge its existence.  Gads, but I will probably prefer this
to TMZ!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!