Subject: [Leica] Re: Grimwood's LHSA Viewfinder Index / Moss
From: Robert Rose <RJR@usip.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:51:59 -0800

Marvin,

This is actually a contested area of the law.  There was an interesting case involving copying of the phone book.  In other words, if the information in the phone book is public knowledge, what manner of copyright protection extends to it?  There is very little "authorship" in a phone book.

Of course, I will need to see the index <g> to tell you what I think.  If there is nothing more than a listing of the articles by issue then there may be no protection.

In any case, you must avoid misappropriation; which would arise if you make something look like your own work for the purpose of deception.  Misappropriation is a tort separate from copyright infringement.

There is a simple answer; why can't you ask Bill Grimwood for permission?

Bob

>>> Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com> 03/09 11:50 PM >>>
 I guess I should really address this post to our copyright
 lawyer & LUGger Robert Rose since I have just copied &
 mailed all 50 pages of LUGger Bill Grimwood's great index
 of Leica articles that have appeared in all of the past issues
 of the superb Leica Viewfinder magazine from 1968 to '95.

 They were available from the Society at a nominal cost but
 I don't think they are anymore.  I am not selling the index
 only giving it to good friends like Alf and I wonder if I am
 breaking any copyright laws by doing this, as I am sure
 that the invaluable copies will be recopied many times.

 Marvin Moss