Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #219
From: abpeking <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 09:20:22 +0800 (CST)

Eric,

Thanks for your suggestions about gels etc. I asked at Calumet in New
York last year for a catalog and they said a/they had none in stock and
did not know when they would get them b/ they would not take my name
and address (even my NY agent's address) and ship to me if and when
they print more. I got the same response from their 800
order/information number. Not impressive. And I was a living breathing
customer who had just spent about $2,000 in one spree...

As for the Wrattens - don't you just hate fiddling with those gels
which I find have troublesome flaws in them as often as not and don't
last long when taken out in the real world. No, I still with glass or
polyester (or resin if I must). I am amazed that Kodak has not switched
to polyester filters ages ago. In Japan Fuji used to (perhaps still
does) produce a comprehensive range of wratten equivalents in
polyester. Can't understand why they never marketed them overseas and
let Lee and HiTech get a good position.

In my shooting in China and this region I have already got 6 different
types (FLD, FLW, 30cc Magenta + three Lees) of Fluorescent filters and
acres of Rosco gels. Gels and holders normally need another bag for
transportation - PITA. For portability and convenience I prefer glass
where available and carry a heap of 77mm filters in a stack (these fit
my most used Canon lenses from 17 through 300 and my RZ system).
However for Leicas I am always fiddling with stepping rings (39-52,
39-58, 43-52, 46-52, 60-62 etc) and just wish it wasn't so.

Bests,

Adrian

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist