Subject: Re: [Leica]Filters
From: abpeking <abpeking@public.bta.net.cn>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 14:20:24 +0800 (CST)

Marc wrote

>I can buy both Series and 60mm Tiffen filters from my camera store, off the
>shelf, even in a small town like Roanoke.  If I wish Heliopan or B+W, there
>is normally a delay of three or four days.  If I wish H&H, it may take a
>week.  There really isn't a long delay nor great inconvenience in obtaining
>these guys.  There are large filter companies in the US that will
>overnight-express these filters to you from virtually any manufacturer.

Marc,

Well that is good to know but it does not concur with my experience.
Even in Hong Kong, which must have one of the largest markets for Leica
lenses in the world 60mm means special order (besides UV and skylight)
and special order means one to three months. I have yet to come across
any shop in Europe or Asia which has significant stock of 60mm filters
and even B+H in New York has very few: just UV, Skylight and polarisers
in the catalogs and not much in the inventory last time I was there. In
my experience the most comprehensive filter supplier in the world is
SRB film services in England but they too get the obscure sizes like
60mm on special order only, or they make them to order (about two weeks
minimum) which is slow...

I would love to know the contact details for the filter suppliers you
mentioned: particularly Harrison & Harrison. When I checked the Filter
Connection web-site they had no 60mm filters listed but perhaps I would
have to call them to find out (which is about $4 a minute from here).

Adrian Bradshaw
Photojournalist
Shanghai, China