Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Metering Pattern
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 17:57:53 +0100

On 03-03-1998 03:10 Jim Laurel wrote:

>On evenly-lit daylight scenes with the Summilux-M 1:1.4/35, the M6 meter
>usually gives me spot-accurate readings.  However, the other day, I was
>shooting some portraits of children at wide aperatures with heavy
>backlighting.  For the backlit shots, I moved in very close to get a reading
>off thier faces.  The G2 and M6 disagreed by about 1 stop and, when the
>slides were processed, the G2 exposure was correct while the M6 shots were
>underexposed.  I was surprised at this and made doubly sure that the meters
>were not being influenced by the backlight.
(snip)
>I'm coming to the conclusion that I have alot to learn in terms of using the
>M6 meter, i.e., making it a point to meter off the ground on sunny days so
>as not to be thrown off by a bright sky, etc. It seems to be a matter of just
getting used
>to the M6s metering pattern.

Jim, my thoughts exactly. I had the same M6 measuring problems in
difficult lighting situations. The trouble is you cannot see the exact
spot where the camera is metering. So, only experience will teach you how
to behave in such situations. What a difference matrix metering makes...
Happy shooting.

Pascal

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r