Subject: [Leica] Leica M vs. R lenses thought
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 11:26:11 +0100

I was thinking in my bed this Sunday morning...

Leica should do some more effort for the R lens series. It seems, with
the exception of the high-end modular Apo teles and Apo Zooms (which,
quite frankly, are unaffordable for a non-professional user), that most
effort for lenses has gone to the M series during the last couple of
years.
Just think of Summilux-M 35mm 1.4 ASPH, the Summicron-M 35mm 2.0 ASPH,
the Elmarit-M 24mm 2.8 ASPH and Elmarit-M 21mm 2.8 ASPH.
We have yet to witness such impressive lineup at the R side! I do not
think that current R wideangles can measure up to their M counterparts
(with the exception of the Elmarit 28mm 2.8). E.g. Summilux-R 35mm 1.4
has no aspherical elements, so it couldn't possibly be on the same line
as the Summilux-M 35 1.4 ASPH. Same goes for the other mentioned
wideangles.
And although I heard that the Elmarit-R 19mm 2.8 latest version is an
incredible lens, how could it compare to the Elmarit-M 21mm 2.8 ASPH as
it does not have aspherical elements?
Or, if there is no or almost no optical quality difference, we would have
to conclude that the "ASPH" suffix is just a plain commercial ploy...
Many lenses in the current R series seem like having a rather long
history dating back to the beginning of the eighties, and seem badly in
need of an overhaul (Elmarit-R 24mm 2.8, Summilux-R 80mm 1.4 and so on).
I would be curious to know how they stand up to their modern and
professional Canon L or Nikon counterparts. In view of the high premium
prices, they should be the unquestionable top, but I rather doubt this is
still true for a bunch of R lenses (again: I am not speaking of the
lastest design lenses!).

These are moments when you start to think that an investment in R series
lenses is less well-sound than M series (latest). Sure, the R8 is a nice
camera, but when you start comparing lenses...

Pascal

t h i n k   d i f f e r e n t               a p p l e    c o m p u t e r