Subject: Fw: [Leica] new 50mm Elmar
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 06:14:41 -0000

> At 08:00 PM 3/1/98 -0000, you wrote:
> >I just ordered a new 50mm f2.8 Elmar-M for my M3 - I heard of someone
who
> >owns one and said he couldn't collapse it, since it hit the
rangefinder's
> >wheel.  Is there anyone who has experienced this problem?

I had this problem with my new Elmar on one of my two M6s and reported it
on the list about last Nov. It wasn't as bad as you've put it; it would
collapse easily but sometimes I could feel it just touching the rangefinder
wheel as it went in. I took it in to Leica UK at Luton and they adjusted it
(the body) while I waited. Been fine ever since. I like the lens a lot,
probably my most used.
I would comment that it is a tad awkward to pull the lens out. There's not
much to get hold of unless you keep the hood fitted all the time (not so
compact) or, as I mostly do, use a plastic lens cap which grips the front
ring of the lens enough to do the pull, twist, lock, remove cap operations
in one smooth sequence. The plastic cap has a little ridge at the end which
makes it easier to grip than the smooth metal one supplied. The metal one
doesn't fit securely enough to do the sequence in one go. Also if you use
one of the deep type plastic lens caps (14268) you could (if you really
wanted to after recent postings !) keep a filter fitted.
Hope this helps.
Mike