Subject: [Leica] Flare problem with 35 Summilux ASPH
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 09:00:02 -0000

I took some pictures recently where significant flare has occurred. In some
pictures the flare is the iris image, in others it is overall loss of
contrast, almost a white out in the worst case with the sun very near the
edge of the image. All pics were contre- jour but the iris image ones were
nowhere straight at the sun and have surprised and disappointed me.
Without wanting to stir up the protective filter argument again I admit I
was using a leica uv filter and I also had the hood on. I fully accept that
the flare would probably been less without the filter. However my
experience is all based on using many different lenses(many makes) nearly
always with a filter, and it is comparison with this experience which has
surprised me.
Any comments or similiar experiences?