Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:tripods
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 23:02:49 -0500

Bill Welch wrote:

>         You have to get a permit from the Capitol Police or Architect of the
> Capitol's office to use a tripod on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol or
> inside the building. Capitol Police have a knack for being there the
> instant tripod feet touch the ground.

Snip...

Several years ago I had to do a photo of Jefferson in the Jefferson
Memorial at night for a magazine cover. It had to fit a particular
layout for which stock was not available. The magazine had supposedly
made all the arrangements and everything was to be taken care of.
Arrived before twilight, checked in with the guards and hauled out the
tripod whereupon they said that we had permission to make the photo but
not to use a tripod. We explained that because it was at night (one of
the reasons for doing it at night was to hide the construction fencing
which was prevalent around the monument at the time) it necessitated a
tripod for the time exposures. And, because all the powers that be were
now closed and we had made a long trip, we would be unable to get
permission. They let it slide. We made our photos and lived happily ever
after. For once common sense prevailed.

Carl S.