Subject: Re: [Leica] Advice on 35m for SL
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:20:38 -0600

At 09:23 AM 2/27/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Eric-
>
>What is your experience with R 35mm lenses?

I've used two different 35 Summilux R lenses over the past 10 years, and
it's a wonderful lens. Rugged as all get out and optical performance for my
kind of work (photojournalism) is top-notch. If you do available light work
with an SLR, this is a must-have lens. I have  used the 35 Summicron some,
and have seen lots of work put through them. Very good flare control.
Probably the best 35mm lens on that point around for SLRs.

I have owned and used the original 35mm 2.8 Elmarit for the Leicaflex
system. That is, it was made the year before the Leicaflex was put on the
market according to the serial number. (Like 64 if the Leicaflex came out
in '65 - can't remember the year right now). So it was a very early
production model. And it was a great lens. As good as current Nikon, Canon,
Minolta, etc., lenses for the time ('84). But by May '96 I had the Summilux
R. So I'm a speed freak.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Maintenance-free: When it breaks, it can't be fixed