Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:tripods
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:34:37 -0800

I've been following the thread on tripods and am shocked!  I've traveled to
many of the places people have referenced and have never had the kinds of
problems described.  Last December, I dragged a Bogen 3221 across the Middle
East, through Iran, Syria, Jordan, and Israel
(http://www.mungopark.com/container.asp?issue=199712&sec=exp&page=dispatches
/contents.asp), but never had a single problem with the authorities.  (well,
about tripods, anyway...)  And the cameras I was using couldn't be mistaken
for anything but pro cameras (Canon EOS1n & Nikon/Kodak DCS 460 digital
camera).

I can understand why tripod use might be restricted in museums, etc, but to
limit thier use in public areas is ridiculous.  It's just another case of
fascist bureaucrats dreaming up rules to complicate people's lives and
extract money from them.  After all, it's not as if uncontrolled tripod use
is about to proliferate to the point of being truly obstructive.

Also, the notion on the part of guards, police, etc., that you can determine
someone's professional status by the type of equipment they're carrying is
silly.  I'd bet that alot more amateurs carry EOS1ns than Leica M6s!  And
really, who gives a rip if it's a pro or an amateur taking a picture of that
church or whatever, anyway?  Governments who think they can control the free
flow of information by such primitive means are about to get a rude
awakening, when "tourists" start sending dispatches back home direct from
the field with thier small high-res digital video cameras and PCMCIA
satellite telephones.