Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:tripods
From: edwardk9@umcc.umcc.umich.edu (Edward Kowaleski)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:57:44 -0500 (EST)

I haven't been in DC for several years but the last time there I was using
a tripod at night near the Capitol and was told that it was illegal
because a tripod could be used as a ready-rest for a weapon.  Wow, I knew
my Leica was powerful but I can't im,age it being mistaken for a gun.

Some museums permit no photography, particularly of special exhibits.
Many do permit it, however, such as the National Gallery in DC, the Met,
Chicago, and others in the US.  In Europe it is permitted in the National
Gallery in London, in Vienna, and in most museums in Paris.  In the Louvre
one can buy a permit at a kiosk that permits you to use a tripod.

If you use a small table top tripod such as the Leica or Bogen and press
it against a wall for support, the guards are usually too bored to
challenge you as long as you are not interrupting the flow or being
obviously stupid about your placement of the table top tripod (i.e., too
near a painting or sculpture).

Ed Kowaleski