Subject: [Leica] 15 SE first impressions
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:36:54 +1100

G'day Guys and Gals,

I've now shot my first roll of film through the R7 and with the 15mm Super
Elmar. It arrived just as I was about to decorate our new branch in Bacchus
Marsh, so Helen and I headed down to the "Marsh" to shoot some scenes. For
tele shots we used the Rollei 3003 and the R7 had the 15 and a 50. When the
shots came back, there was an initial disappointment. On analysis however
we slowly 'loved' the wide shots more and more, as we recognized that our
dismay was due to some of the outstanding features of this lens. Let me
explain, and please comment and critisize, as I need to learn more about
this lens if I am to take it to Japan in April.

The lens is almost normal. We had expected more of a wide angle distortion
that we were used to with our other lens. When it was not there we went
'ho-hum', but the more you looked, the more you thought 'gee these are
bizarre, and very good.' Some shots were with the lens focused at its
limits, and these had a quality all their own, so my summary of the lens
is;

This lens will take a scene and if held horizontally will reproduce an
image which seems to mimic real life, with only minimal distortion. The DOF
is of course huge, and the clarity of the image out to the corners is
great. Wide open there is a slight drop off vignetting of about 1 - 1.5
stops which seems to disappear as the lens is stopped down. Even held off
horizontal, the wide angle effects are minimal, but ----

when focused closer than about 2 - 3 feet, the lens takes on a new quality.
Its DOF disappears and at very close range, the background develops a
swirling motion which seems to sent the image at its edges speeding off the
page. This can create a focus on the static central figure. One rose shot
almost looks as if the flower is moving away from its background and coming
towards the lens, [which given that it was about 2" from the front element
is not surprizing].

As you can see, I'm a bit taken aback by the qualities. How do my initial
impressions fit in with experience? Guidance needed ;-)

Cheers

Alastair Firkin,