Subject: Re: [Leica] offtopic:photovest
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:39:18 -0800

Tina Manley wrote:

> At 08:30 PM 2/24/98 +0800, you wrote:
> >Hello Luggers,
> >
> >Can anyone here recommend a photojournalist vest/photovest that will hold
> >an 1 M6 with 3 other lenses, and misc acc., film, etc.
> >someone told me about Banana Republic vest, Domke, etc...
> >
> >Would appreciate some comments,
> >
> >Ferdinand
> >
> Ferdinand:
>
> I've tried them all and the Banana Republic is my favorite - expecially
> since there is an outlet place near here (Oops!) where you can sometimes
> find them for $19.95!  The last time they had them I bought four.  The
> arrangement of pockets is more convenient.  The inside pockets give you a
> place for passport and money.  I don't understand anybody making a
> photojournalist vest without snap epaulettes on the shoulders.  The
> expensive Nikon vest doesn't have them.  Tina

Funny--I recently gave away a Banana Republic vest because I didn't like
it.  Mostly because the pockets are too small.  With anything other than
an M lens, if you get your hand in the pocket and hold a lens, you can't
get the combo out again.  So I use a Domke a lot.  But for a small set
as you mention, a little waste pack should be just fine and not so
ostentatious.  I only wear the Domke on jobs where it is obvious we are
working.   Otherwise just a jacket with big pockets.  Domke used to make
a jacket that was wonderful.  I left it on a job one day and it
disappeared.  I was about to take it to a tailor to has it duplicated.
didn't look like a photo-thing.

donal
- --
Donal Philby