Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Noctilux Experiences
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:45:57 -0800

Mike wrote:

<snip>I've sold my summicron but I find I'm not completely happy with the
noctilux alone. I keep running into the close focus limit and the lens plus
hood (built in) do block an awful lot of viewfinder.  I'm seriously
considering a late summilux with built in hood and ,7m close focussing. Any
comments or advice?
<snip>

I have and use the 50/2 Summicron, 50/2.8 Elmar and 50/1 Noctilux with
M6's.  I guess I have become a 50mm connoisseur of sorts.  I enjoy using
the Noctilux but find for daytime outdoor use, it is heavy and obscures the
viewfinder.  Due to the bulk of the Noctilux, it is slow to focus.  It
sometimes feel as if the resistance is too much when focussing from
distance to near.  I find the collapsable 50mm Elmar a wonderfully sharp
small lens that fits in a shirt pocket or small waist pouch.  The 50mm
Summicron is also a wonderful lens that is really not much bigger then the
Elmar.  It has never dissappointed me.

The lens I have never used is the 50/1.4 Summilux.  Perhaps someone can
convince me that this is a superior lens when compared to the Summicron or
Elmar.

Happy Shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD