Subject: Re: [Leica] Light box user needs dramamine????
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:45:59 -0800

John McLeod wrote:

<snip>I have had a custom made 19"x25" lightbox for the past few years
(5000 Kelvin rating) with 2 fluorescent tubes and a (non-electronic)
ballast/transformer inside the box.  When I use this thing for more than
about 10 minutes I begin to experience a headache and nausea.
<snip>

As an optometrist, I would like to render an opinion.

Given the choice, I would prefer to examine a patient with the above
symptoms.  An ocular health exam and evaluation of any optical
prescriptions used would be helpful.  In many cases, the problem is related
to the brightness of the light box.  Some fluorescent lamps put out quite a
bit of light energy.  When you view them, your pupil has to constrict to
control the amount of light that reaches the retina.  If the light is
bright enough, especially when viewing through a loupe that magnifies the
image and the light intensity, it can cause discomfort or asthenopia.  Ever
notice how close people put their eyes when viewing a slide on a light
table?  There are usually nose prints all over the place.

I would like to offer two suggestions:

Increase the ambient lighting in the room by turning on more lights so that
the contrast  between the light table and rest of the room isn't as great.
The eyes will have an easier time adapting than going from a dim background
lighting to a bright light table. The second consideration is to replace
the lamps with lower wattage fluorescent lamps.  Sometimes brighter is not
better.  You may be much more comfortable with a lower wattage bulb(s)
which have plenty of illumination for viewing but also permit more
comfortable viewing as well.  Try using a neutral density filter with your
loupe to see if you get a positive response.  Usually fluorescent lamps are
cheap.  It may be worth it to get a weaker bulb(s) and see how you do with
them.

I hope this has been helpful.  It is always difficult to render an opinion
without examining the patient.  I'll be happy to barter a Leica for an eye
exam any day <bg>.

Sincerely,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD