Subject: [Leica] HP Photosmart -opinions?
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:04:54 +0100

LUGers,
I got the mail below, and after checking Kenneth's images, I think they are
of high quality, as well as the fact that Kenneth is a very good
photographer. The price for the HP Photosmart scanner in Sweden is 3.905 Skr
(~$480), and I am very tempted to order one.
My question is: -I know that lots of LUGers are using film scanners, what do
you think of this one, compared to more expensive ones? (This one has 2.400
dpi and 30 bits color)
/Hans

Below is Kenneth's letter and URL:

Mr. Pahlen,
I found and liked your Web site some months ago. So, I thought I
should send you an e-mail.
I recently purchased the Hewlett-Packard PhotoSmart slide and negative
scanner. I am very impressed by the quality of the digital images this
machine produces.
But, what strikes me even more is the quality of Leica lenses. As I
picked out slides and negatives to scan, it turns out that nearly
every photo I like was shot on a Leica.
I invite you to visit my Web page of sample scans, at:
http://www.sna.com/smith/photos
This makes me want to own Leica again. I lost my M4 and M2, and five
lenses, to a thief 15 years ago, and I've never replaced them. I now
own a Nikon N70, but just is not the same.
Ken Smith
Sacramento, California