Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bulk fim loading - Who & Why
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 00:03:17 -0500

Duncan,
In my experience of thirty years of bulk loading, I have found that the best
way is to load the entire roll at one time- that is load up all the cassette
at one time, put each in a plastic can and refrigerate. If I need a partial
roll, I use part of a 36 exposure roll, and cut off what I expose and
process that. I have loaded short rolls, though, and that works until you
run out!
I do this since I don't like the film sitting around in the bulk loader,
especially the color. I also don't like loading and unloading the bulk
loader!
If you know someone in a mini lab, get them to save the 3M cassettes that
are not staked; they are usually the cartriges from film 3M package for
supermarkets, and drugstores. I have a couple of hundred saved up, so I
don't have to use them too many times. I will admit that I have about ten
old Agfa cassetts from the '70s that are MARVELOUS! They have never
scratched a film yet, and they have been used dozens of times. I do keep the
empties, unused and used rolls in the little canisters so that the
felt/fuzzy/velvet strip at the lip does not pick up grit from a pocket or
bag. So far, I have not scratched unexposed film since about 1967! Knock on
wood!
Dan'l

dwpost@msn.com