Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #151
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 16:08:26 -0800

Mike Johnston wrote:

> The thief stole two of the cheap plastic Diana cameras that were in
> vogue at that time--each worth about $5.00 new_--but left two folded
> Deardorff 8x10s worth thousands of dollars. Why? Steve could only
> speculate that the Dianas "looked like cameras," whereas the
> thief couldn't tell what the folded Deardorffs _were_.

Ha ha!  Exactly.  That's actually good comfort to the large format
crowd.  Sinars, Linhofs, and the like, if recognized as cameras at
all, will probably be thought of as "old fashioned junk" by most
thieves.  They're also a bit too big to be walking off with.

One of the salesmen at a photo shop I visit keeps old broken 35mm
cameras at home as "bait" for thieves, hoping they'll be satisfied
to just grab a few of those and get out quickly, leaving the more
valuable stuff behind.

I've also noticed many photo shops like to put customer's purchases
in those handy blue plastic Nikon bags.  I always turn the bag
inside-out so it's not so conspicuous.

- -Dave