Subject: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #151
From: Mike Johnston <70007.3477@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 1998 10:32:41 -0500

>>>Thieves, for the most part, couldn't tell the difference between
a Konica C35 and a Leica, nor would they even care at the time they
attempted to steal it.  A thief, wanting to steal for quick cash,
is interested only in the fact that it is a camera.<<<

 Dave Munroe,
 A photography teacher of mine, Steve Szabo, lived aboard a houseboat on the
Potomac River. One night  thief broke in. The thief stole two of the cheap
plastic Diana cameras that were in vogue at that time--each worth about $5.00
_new_--but left two folded Deardorff 8x10s worth thousands of dollars. Why?
Steve could only speculate that the Dianas "looked like cameras," whereas the
thief couldn't tell what the folded Deardorffs _were_.
 <g>

 --Mike

P.S. My experience photographing in seaside towns in the 1980s was that the
word "Nikon" attracted more attention from, er, the "wrong element" than
anything else. I did use black tape to cover that word wherever it appeared on
my gear.