Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Ansel did bracket..... sort of.
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:53:49 -0800

BIRKEY, DUANE wrote:

> Ansel also took a lot of images that none of
> us has ever seen.......

A lady once told me that the difference between a professional
photographer and an amateur is that the professional knew which
photos to throw away.  I interpret that as a necessary condition
rather than a sufficient condition.  :-)

> I enjoy using 4x5 for B&W scenics and landscapes, it's relaxing in a
> masochistic kind of way.

I use medium format for B&W landscapes and I've often waited for
hours to take one photo (e.g. once, upon realizing that I arrived too
early and that a lower sun angle would result in better shadows
from mountain ridges.  Another time, I waited an hour and a half for
a pesky small cloud to disappear from a mountain top).  However, I find
it relaxing and not masochistic.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with bracketing a shot or taking
multiple, slightly different photos of a scene.  I certainly do
a lot of that myself.  But bracketing is such a simply executed
technique that I think it's a bit of mistake for it to appear as
an expected mode on entry level cameras or even on intermediate
cameras.  It's just one more bit of automation that I don't feel
like paying for and, if I do buy a new camera, I'd like the choice
as to whether I can get a camera with that feature or not.  My
objection is similar to that of not being able to buy my favorite
lens as a manual-focus lens because the manufacturer has decided
to make only all autofocus lenses.  On high level cameras, such
as the 205FCC, their mode of autobracketing is rather clever and
I could see how a professional could make good use of that.

- -Dave