Subject: Re: [Leica] Macro Question (even more)
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 08:29:27 -0800

>>Since the DOF will be the same, with any lens, for the same image size,
>>choose the 100mm APO Macro. It's one of the most outstanding lenses ever
>>produced.
>>
>>Jim
>
>Jim: I know you as well as all users are very impressed with the 100mm f2.8
>apo macro lens. Question: I like my 90mm Summicron-R very much. Would it
>make any sense to trade the f2 lens for the apo lens?  Or do you see
>justification for having both lenses?
>

>Your comment on the 12585 vs. 12504 sunshades was very helpful.
>
>Regards, Andrew Jordan

Andrew,

If you are talking about Macro work, you cannot compare a 90/2 with a
100/2.8 . The 100 was made for exquisite macro results. Also to use the 90
for macro work, you will need extension tubes, which do not have auto
diaphragm control. When I bought my 100, I sold my 90 and have never been
sorry. I use my 100 more for normal work than macro work. It's an
outstanding lens. You can definitely *see* the difference in the results
between the 90 and 100. I would call the 100/2.8 APO the benchmark for
other lenses to be compared against. IMHO, unless you need f/2 or need a
lighter weight lens sometimes, I would not keep the 90. The difference
between the focal lengths is nil. And the 100 is clearly the better lens
(for macro and overall resolution L/MM).

Jim