Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutters
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 22:28:33 -0500

At Mon, 2 Feb 1998 18:20 -0500, Ted Grant wrote:
> And the number of people who use an M6 and flash must be very nearly
> infinitesimal. It's almost heresy to use flash with the thing!  I know some
>  folks do, but to change the shutter to "battery driven" for a handful of
> flash enthusiasts is ridiculous.

I beg to differ.  Sure, I aspire not to need flash;  but as you're well aware,
sometimes some fill would make a photo look better (either by subtly reducing
the depth of shadows in harsh light, or by unsubtly making the main subject
"pop" out of the background).  And I'm more likely to have an M in my hand
than anything else, because I'm used to it and I love the glass.  But it's a
huge pain (and often impossible with fastish film and brightish light) to
balance flash and daylight with the M's 1/50th flash sync.  A faster
flash-sync is actually at the top of my wish-list for the M.

Here the Mamiya 6 and 7, with their leaf shutters, really come into their
own...

 -Jeff