Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutters
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 10:10:47 -0800

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:
>=20
> Donal:
>=20
> At the risk of sounding superficial. The chrome/titanium finish on the =
> cameras is a deal breaker for me. I think if I could buy a black one an=
> black lenses (not a collectors edition) I'd give it serious considerati=
on.
> Even then, the lack of any mechanical way to confirm focus is a serious
> problem for professional photography. I had a Mamiya 6 rangefinder go o=
> the whack, but I could tell it was off because I always check the dista=
nce
> every so often to assure things are making sense. I changed bodies and
> missed only a few frames. With the G cameras, how would you know?
>=20
> But you=92re right, what I'm describing is a Leica G2 in every way with=
> manual rangefinder and an M mount. I'm only really in it for the lenses.
>=20
 Tom,
If the Contax G had a manual RF and focused like an M, viola!  We're
done.

Modern standards of reproduction often demand fill flash or at least
assisted light for publication (Ted may argue).  Yes we can carry two
systems, but often that is not practical or possible and just one more
complication.  You are right about the RF.  My limited use of the G
always leaves me a little disconcerted and uncomfortable.  Mostly I
object to the motor noise--my same complaint with Nikon AF too.  The
motor noise and movement changes my concentration from the scene
photographed to the operation of the camera (watching it buzz and
whirr)--which, ironically, is the opposite of what such technology is
supposed to do for you.  The F5 and newest S lenses are so quiet it is
much better and less distracting.  But (as Eric has pointed out) such
technology will probably only be reserved for the long lenses.  As for
focusing accuracy and confidence, Pentax and Hasselblad both are known
to get unaligned and miss focus and there is absolutely no way to tell
in the viewfinder or anywhere else except the film.  I've even had it
happen with a Nikon F3.

The contoured body of the G will make it harder to tape than the M.  I
think the body color is a giveaway to whom it is being marketed.  Not
us!!

donal

- --=20
Donal Philby