Subject: Re: [Leica] Replacement R35mm f2 flawed as well!
From: Emanuel-Temp_Lowi%READERSDIGEST@READERSDIGEST.COM
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:10:04 -0500

In the past few years I've had to return the following near-new equipment
to Leica for Passport service:
1) 35 mm Aspherical Summilux-M (1st version) - diaphragm mechanism failure.
They gave me a new one.
2) 28 mm Elmarit-M (current) - internal fogging. They gave me a new one.
3) 90 mm Elmarit-M (current) - anti-reflection paint migrating to lens
surfaces. Sent back to Germany for service, 2+ months wait
4) M6J body - shutter failure, poor overall adjustment. Serviced at Leica
Canada, slow speed mechanism replaced, 1 1/2 month wait.
They've had another of my cameras in their shop for rebuild for TEN MONTHS.
I dare not rush them, for fear that the work will suffer.
My latest new M6 is also not so well adjusted. A top USA repair person, a
former Leitz employee, tells me "there is no quality control at Solms." An
exaggeration, perhaps, but I've just about given up on the company's
service department. There are independents I trust more, but this is
annoying with equipment that is still under USA warranty. For some crazy
reason, I'll still sing the praises of Leica to anyone who'll listen, but
the dirty secret is that there are problems. But who wants a G2??? (o.k.,
they're gorgeous in black!)