Subject: Re: [Leica] Give it up?
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 04:32:35 -0500 (EST)

Norman,

There are a number of materials that can replace Vulcanite.
Once I used black automobile windshield sealer. It sets thick, can be
textured but dries slightly softer than the Vulcanite (Guta Persha dental
filler?). The sealer is still doing its job on one of my Leicas and blends
splendidly with the factory material. Also, it can't chip. It's been there
for about 8 years.

A 50-year-old Leica is just getting its second wind. I can't figure out why
someone would want to part with a IIIF or G, whatever the state of its
complexion. The Vulcanite doesn't make the shots. There are many reputable
service people who can keep a veteran Leica in top shape indefinitely.

Bob