Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters ( with or without a proposal for a dual) ag
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 01:31:27 -0500

>Seriously, can someone propose a simple test,like shooting a scene with and
>without the UV filter, under prescribe conditions so that we settle this
>matter
>once and for all. Lets wait for the results

I have never noticed any appreciable image degradation when using
multi-coated filters, except in special lighting conditions such as
shooting at night, when the filter caused flare.  Resolution tests in
Shutterbug (there was an article on this topic about a year ago-- take it
for what you believe it is worth) confirm minimal impact on image quality.

Personally, I'd rather only use filters when I have to (sea spray,
blowing debris) after having bad experiences with flare.  Although I
might not notice the difference most of the time, it was pretty
irritating to find flare on half the pics when I took the film out of the
tank one time.