Subject: Re: [Leica] Off-topic: what b/w films should I use?
From: "usinet.srlond" <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 01:24:52 -0500

>Any suggestions?

If you are unable to develop your own b/w film, I have had good results
with Kodak TMax 400CN, the new chromogenic black and white film.  It is
developed in the C-41 color process rather than normal b&w chemicals.  I
have the film processed at a local minilab and get back good neutral tone
b&w prints on color paper (the blacks aren't as pure as conventional b&w
paper)  Although a lot of the initial hype about the film has died down,
I am still very impressed.  It has excellent exposure latitude (can be
exposed at 800 with no push, but is best at 200) and nonexistent grain.
Your elargements will be limited by the resolution of the film rather
than the grain (photos will look like they are taken with TMax 100 on a
medium format camera).  Due to its relatively clear base (it lacks the
orange mask of most color films), you can also make good enlargements
yourself on b&w paper.  The downside of all this is that the film lacks
the "crispness" or sharp appearance of conventional black and white films.