Subject: Re: [Leica] Film Transport - Leica IId
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 23:40:12 +0000

Yup.  That's what happens when you use modern film cassettes in
a screwmount body.  The original Leica film cartridges were a tad
longer than today's disposable (oops - recyclable) counterparts and
kept the film properly positioned.

We had a discussion on the subject about a year ago and I do remember
actually loading up both a Leica cassette and a modern one with some
scrap film and watching how the film advanced through a lens-less
IIIc. As I recall, at the time I had to choose between research on
behalf of the LUG and cleaning house.

Sometimes, the sprocket holes at the bottom of the print do add
an interesting touch. If such a treatment is not to taste, I suppose
one could fashion a shim from a nylon washer or some such material to
prop up the newer canisters.

On  1 Feb 98 at 16:51, Noel H. Charchuk wrote:

> While examining negatives today from the above camera, I noticed
> that the sprocket perforations have exposed negative into the hole,
> on what would be the top of the film in the camera, and the image is
> somewhat cutoff. Is this indicating a problem, or is it just
> something I'm doing when loading? I do try to keep the film flat in
> the camera by tensioning the rewind a bit. The latest negs caused me
> to look at some other negatives from this camera, and it seems to be
> repeated. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Noel Charchuk

   Roy C. Zartarian
   http://www.connix.com/~royzart
   "A prophet is not without honor except in his
    own land and among his own people"

Written with the assistance of a labrador retriever whose chin is on the key board. All typos are his fault.