Subject: [Leica] Re: [Leica ] environmental stuff
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 19:20:51 -0500

At 12:16 PM 31-01-98 -0800, Jim Brick wrote:
>Dan,
>
>If you have a UV filter on your lens 100% of the time, how do you know that
>your 90 is prone to flare with or without a filter? Also, please tell us
>how tree sap and other environmental "shit" manages to zero-in on only your
>front lens element (filter in your case) ? [snip]

Yes, in the future I will avoid replying to posts at 3 in the morning.  At
that time of day I get a bit overly worked up over dumb issues.

My figure of 100% was rounded.  I have in the past done tests without
filters, usually at the same tine that I am testing a lens for sharpness
etc.  It is at these times that I have noticed no differences.  As for tree
sap, the stuff does seem to get all over the camera.  I don't mind taking a
cotton cloth to the body of my M6, I am just loath to do it with my lenses.
 I just have to look at my filters to see stuff that I am glad is not on my
lens.  I know, why don't I just clean it off the lens?  Well, I prefer not
to if I can help it.  Someione else mentioned having comparison JPGs he is
willing to email out.  I may take him up on his offer.

I guess my point is that if you prefer not using a filter, this is
perfectly fine.  And vice versa.  One thing, if the day comes when I want
to sell off some of my lenses, you can be sure there will be no cleaning
marks!

Dan C.

ps.  I think that most LUGers have seen enough of this thread.  I'm afraid
that Marvin will put me on his kill list!