Subject: [Leica] UV Filters: What Ever!
From: MyersPete@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 04:25:05 EST

Perhaps this should be a "live and let live" post.

I have no doubt that Leica has enough UV filtering within the optics to do the
job. And, I agree that having no filter at all will yield the best possible
image quality. But, I use UV filters and yellow and orange filters all the
time.

Perhaps you all have better luck then I, but my work is in shooting in the
Eastern Sierra and in Nevada. I go through about four UV filters a year that
are pitted by sand blowing or scratched by silica dust. And, I do a fair job
of cleaning with the best materials. Its just nasty out there and I am not
about to keep scrubbing the front element raw.

My equipment gets cleaned every night very carefully. The filters get taken
off and I often ultrasonically clean them. The pits are caused by sand. Its
not uncommon to have wind blowing through at over 30mph.

No, the filter is not gas tight, but I have yet to have anything get on the
backside of the filter.

And yes, my lens cap is on always between shots. Most oftern the camera is in
a pack.

When I shoot in black and white - which is most of the time now - yellow and
orange filters are my work horses.

The point I am making is that you can use filters and not suffer such an
optical degradation that it totally outways its advantage. If I were to shoot
only in color in more normal conditions, I guess I would not use any filters.
But, that is not how it is for me. And, I suspect the other people have needs
to use them as well.

So, if you need to use filters, use them! That is my two bits....

Pete