Subject: [Leica] Too much smoke
From: MyersPete@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 03:54:20 EST

 Stephen Gandy wrote:
"...........I doubt if you demand less than the best in your pictures, you are
making a mistake by demanding less than the best from Leica.   Raise your
standards Ted.
Stephen Gandy"

Dear Stephen:

I read your posts and I fail to see your point, nor why there seems to be so
much heat under your coller and with Ted. Your views are appreciated, but
perhaps you would take a bit of the heat out of your posts. It would be
appreciated.

I also disagree with your analysis of the state of Leica's art. Leica's
strenght is in their glass. If a person needs AF at blinding speeds for sports
or other motion based events, they can buy an F5 or a 1N and use it for its
strengh. If they have the time to make an image come alive, then Leica glass
is where a certain strengh comes in.

I'm an R8 pilot. Having shot a 1N and a lot of SLRs previously, it is a bit
more comfortable for me at this point. But, a lot of M users can tell you that
an M becomes an extension of your eye. You can prefocus, guess the exposure
and make a picture. It takes a bit of film and time to gain the skill, but
once developed, makes for a very powerful tool.

A lot of folks on this list can tell you about Leica's that they have that are
quite 'old', that shoot outstanding images. So much so, that the camera will
have to be pried out of their fingers when they die. They are not silly
people. There is a reason.

I'm not quite sure why you ended up barking at Ted. Maybe its a good time to
listean to the voices of the LUG and try to understand that there may be a
reason for things the way they are at Leica - not due to stupidity, but
because it makes sense. Perhaps you might mention what Leica camera(s) you are
shooting that is so disappointing you in your image making. Perhaps we can
help.

Pete