Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters, again, very long.
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 22:15:44 -0700

Francesco, if I may butt in...
I do sometimes employ a UV filter, but have made a handy discovery: If you
use lens caps which do not fall off in your camera bag, or if the front
elements are sufficiently recessed, not much aside from dust will touch 'em!

Cokin's lenscaps, for one,  are very secure.

Where the glass is NOT recessed, and the lenscap, prone to being knocked
loose, well...make it a GOOD UV filter, else get a better cap :-)

Cleaning in general is overdone. Loose dust can be blown or (gently!)
brushed away. Keep those brushes clean by washing periodically in a
residue-free detergent, such as Alconox, followed by a distilled water
rinse. A technique I have learned for dealing with oily spots is as follows:

- -Roll a few sheets of Kodak lens tissue into a tube
- -Break the tube in half
- -Moisten the ragged edges with lens cleaner
- -Gently swab the lens surfaces.

If using a microfiber cloth, you might fold it into a soft point, and apply.
It's a really bad idea to wrap this or any cleaning tissue around your index
finger and scrub your lenses (can you say "cleaning marks"?)

FWIW: I do not worry about M windows or eyepieces much, and in fact, suspect
that squeaky-clean ones may be more easily abraded than ones which are
graced with the occasional errant fingerprint.

Jeff