Subject: Re: [Leica] Finest equipment technically achievable
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:33:35 -0700

Lucien, you didn't mention your own learning process, but I thought I'd
share part of mine.

In my case, I found that learning to compose a reversed image on the
groundglass was one of the best teaching aids I've ever experienced, so if
you've got a 6x6 SLR with waist level finder, get to know it better! Reason:
When using a view camera or waist-level finder, you are forced to view your
images as FLAT patterns of light, texture and color. Think flat!

Get a spot meter (one which reads out in EVs, not just shutter speeds and
f-stops or arrows), and use it liberally. Learn to "read" the light
visually, so that you know a 4-stop contrast range when you see it.

These are simply convenient ways that I have used, in order to "see" what's
really in front of me, not what I *think* is!

You'd also be amazed at how well these techniques transfer over to a Leica
M: Those magic viewfinder frames? Look at them as the borders of your
finished print ("think flat"), and away you go :-)

Jeff