Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters, again, very long.
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 19:53:54 -0500

Francesco wrote:

<<<<<<Hey Jim:

Since you leave your front elements naked to the world, how do you keep
them looking brand new? >>>>>>>>

He spits on them and rubs hard! :)
Sorry Jim, I just couldn't resist! :)  ted.

<<<<<but I am scared to touch my Leica glass with such potentially
dangerous instruments.....how do you handle dust and dirt?>>>>>>

Francesco mon ami,

If you saw how Leica technicians clean Leica glass you'd die right on the
spot! :)

You should watch Ernst Hartmann clean a lens. Now that's a sight to
behold!:)

Besides I've cleaned my lenses using a tail of my shirt, blown the dust off
the front elements during a cattle round-up that was so thick that some of
the frames shot before I cleaned the prairie dust created goreous golden
glow slides and when I blew all the dust off, I lost the effect of this
beautifully created dust filter.

Fortunately one of the frames was saved and used in my cowboy book.

I generally save worn out cotton undershorts for cleaning lenses, simply
because you have the softest lens cleaning cloth you can find. After all
your butt has been wearing it down to a nice soft touch cleaning cloth. :)

You can't beat them and they're cheap! :)

The hard coating on the front elements of Leica lenses I understand is one,
if not the hardest coated lenses of all manufacturered. It may not be true,
but I was told a few years ago they can stand an awful lot of abuse from
cleaning before you start to screw them up.

ted