Subject: Re: [Leica] FW: 16mm Hologon for Leica
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 20:40:20 -0800

>I have purchased a Hologon 8/16 T* (Contax originally but modified for use
>on my Leica) and would like to do some IR photography and would like to
>know if you know the following:
>How can I get some filters for it. I mainly do black and white photography
>and infrared black and white photography and it is essential that I manage
>to purchase some filters and or get some made?
>Is there any type of lens shade I can attach to it?
>Can I get some information about its optical characteristics in addition
>to the one supplied with the lens?
>Is there a web site or some other forum where I can contact other users of
>this lens or other similar lenses that you are producing or have produced
>in the past so that I can share my experiences and learn from others as we
>explore the possibilities of this magnificent lens?
>Andrea
>
>PS: Please send comments also directly to my E-mail address acb@21invest.com
>----------

I have had a 15 Hologon for my Leicas since it came out, and have a whole
set of filters, including ones such as a #29, #70, #87, and #87C; the
latter 3 which I use with IR film. It's easy - just buy good quality gels
and cut them to fit between the graduated filter and the lens. Handled
carefully, gels can last indefinitely, and there is less image degradation
with gels than with glass filters for lenses of this focal length. Some of
my gels are as old as the Hologon. Similarly, I cut gels to use in my 15
and 16mm Nikkors to fit between the bayonet filters and the lens at the
back. I also use them in the same way with my Noblex, and have stuck gels
between the cells of large format lenses when it was impractical or
impossible to get a filtered image any other way.

Because gels are so thin, I have found less image degradation from them
used in this way (even though it is impossible to have them completely flat
and perpendicular to the lens axis) than glass filters for extreme
wideangles and APO corrected tele lenses.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com