Subject: Re: [Leica] The great 280 debate
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 23:18:55 -0600

At 05:25 PM 1/25/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Eric, please note: I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just pointing out that
>the focal length progression that Leica uses today predates the use of
>converters, although that may be why they continue to use those lengths.

You are quite right. The 280 4.8 is supposed to be a pretty good lens. But
I was responding to someone who said Leica told them they did it because it
was optimal for a lens that's 2.8. Actually, I suppose it's true. But only
because it probably makes it harder to design a 300mm lens at 2.8 and get
the same level of correction. As good as the 280 Apo Telyt is, I'd say they
probably are right. Improvements over the competition at this level is
truly splitting hairs.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...