Subject: Re: [Leica] V-35 and other enlarger stuff...
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 00:09:41 -0500

Eric,
I guess you would know... I had heard that the reason there is a 39mm
"standard" for enlarging lenses was that early on Leitz made their enlargers
so that you could use the camera lens as an enlarger lens. Since some of
these early lenses were symetrical, front to back, they didn't have to be
reversed for flatness of field, especially stopped down to f.8 or f.11.
When I had an M2, I used the 50 Sumicron, and got really nice results, but I
foolishly sold it for a Hasselblad, and went with the Vivitars on an old
Omega D 4x5 enlarger!
What type of lens is the Focotar? Is it symetrical, in that the elements in
the front mirror those at the back?
I know this is a bit off topic ( I'm never really lost- just a might
confused for a month or two!) but you seem to be a wealth of lore; are there
any good books available on enlarger lens types?
Dan'l

dwpost@msn.com