Subject: Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder Report
From: Emanuel-Temp_Lowi%READERSDIGEST@READERSDIGEST.COM
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:36:27 -0500

Nice to see someone daring to ask such an obviously good question. I think
it's mostly due to a certain "retro" style the Rapidwinder offers: sort of
a "Son of Leicavit" thing. The Rapidwinder also serves the interesting
purpose of giving you something like the Leicavit at 1/5 the price.
In terms of performance, other than the need for battery power, the
M-Winder is probably a better idea. I think the last M-Winders work nicely
and are quite quiet. Sure, they're taller than Tom's winder, but offer
smoother fast-wind than the Rapidwinder. I think the attachment lever on
the M-Winders, modelled on the Leicavit design, is better than the
Rapidwinder bottom type (faster to put on and take off for reloading,
easier with gloves, etc.). M-Winders are also easier when shooting
verticals (hard to crank the Leicavit-type lever sideways!).  I understand,
however, that no more M-Winder parts are being made and they're now
assembling the end of the run.
Tom is to be congratulated for his ingenuity and imagination. But I'd still
like to see an improved M-Winder that offers a second vertical shutter
release and, possibly, power rewind. These days, it could probably be made
smaller. Remember, the M-Winders were first introduced 20 years ago (M4-2
times). And some people suggest (maybe true) that Leica Ms don't really
need this stuff at all - except maybe for left-eye users (but that's a bad
habit if you shoot Ms. Learn to use the right eye. With the viewfinder
eyepiece all the way on the left, the cameras were clearly designed for the
right eye.)