Subject: [Leica] Rapidwinder Report
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:04:35 -0800

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I received my new hand made Rapidwinder manufactured by Tom Abrahamsson in
Canada.  I would like to submit the following report on its use and
evaluation.

Essentially the Rapidwinder attaches to the bottom of the Leica M6 and
replaces the bottom metal plate.  Once the film is properly loaded, the
Rapidwinder attaches to the bottom of the M6 as if it was made by Leica
(Leitz).  Good fit and excellent finish.  It is milled out of metal and
contains brass internal components.  You turn a recessed knob to lock it in
place similar to the standard bottom plate on Leica M cameras.  Once
installed, it changes the appearance very little of the black M6.  The
camera now sits a little taller - but nothing like the very tall motor
winder for the M6.

A small 2 inch metal bar is folded out from the bottom of the winder and is
moved laterally to wind the film and cock the shutter.  It can be done in a
very quick reflex action.  As a left eye shooter, I don't even have to
remove the camera from my eye.  This is a major accomplishment for someone
who wants to concentrate on their shooting and not take the camera away
from eye level to advance the film.  The noise level during winding is
similar to that of the standard film advance mechanism.  You can shoot
quickly, quietly and discretely with the Rapidwinder.

Disadvantages:  If you have more than one M6, you can't remove the
Rapidwinder mid-roll to switch it from one camera to another - or you will
fog the film.  This is not a major disadvantage.  It just means you have to
have a Rapidwinder for each M6.  Right Ted???

After using the Rapidwinder this week,  my other M6 looks naked without
one.  Great product at a very reasonable price.  Its enjoyable just to hold
this mechanical device and play with it on an empty M6.  The quality is
there.  I'm not sure why I never purchased one earlier.  I thought the
device was no longer available.  This email group was helpful in finding
the source for the Rapidwinder.  If Tom Abrahamsson wants to stay very
busy, all he would have to do would be to run an ad in Leica Fotographie
and I am sure orders would pour in from around the world for this product.
It is the best accessory I can think of for the M6.  Now I just have to
save up for another one.  There goes my daughter's college tuition fund...

Tom Abrahamsson can be reached at TTAbrahams@aol.com

Happy Shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA
Not a paid consultant or financially involved with Tom Abrahamsson