Subject: Re: [Leica] 40 summi on M-3- soft or what?!
From: The Barkers <rbarker@polarnet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 21:09:31 -0800

Steven - Every time I buy a Leica M body and lenses, I always carefuly
check that collimation is correct - that the lens accurately focuses where
the rangfinder says it does.  Once I bought a new 35mm Summilux that would
not focus correctly and had to return it.  (The body was correct).  I
periodically shoot a newspaper at an angle with lens wide open focusing on
a pencil to see if lens focuses corectly and keep a running tab on all
lenses.  Lenses and bodies shift.  Good field check is see if lens and
rangefinder coincide at infinity.  You shouldn't expect that any body or
any lens will perfectly match from the get-go.

Jim

>>i shot a bunch of stuff with a 'new to me' 40C and just got in the
>>darkroom - geez, i don't recall my last go around with this on an M-3 being
>>so soft focused.
>>
>>i'm going to do more tests (which i hate to have to do) - but this combo
>>i've got here seems bad - maybe a different body will prove differently -
>>
>>anyone else had this - just plain softness of focus, like i'm focusing
>short
>>of the subject
>>
>>thanks,
>>
>>steven blutter

James H. Barker (Jim) - jbarker@polarnet.com
High Latitude Documentary / Ethnographic Photography
Fairbanks, Alaska