Subject: Re: [Leica] Rephrasing question. I wanted to know difference between an M 90mmm lens and a Reflex 90mm lens for my R camera.
From: The Barkers <rbarker@polarnet.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:12:41 -0800

>At 04:32 PM 1/18/98 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>difference?  Is the glass on an "m" lens better than that on an "r"
>>(reflex) lens?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>The quick answer is no. There is no difference. Some R lenses are better
>than M lenses, and visa versa. There is no real qualitative difference
>depending on which camera you are using. Individual lenses determine the
>differences.
>==========
>
>Eric Welch
>St. Joseph, MO
>http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Even if the M and R lenses Summicron are identical, I could well understand
that photos taken with an R camera with the 90 lens might appear
consistantly sharper because of the accuracy of focusing.  The M6 finder
image is so reduced in size that consistant accuracy of focus with 90 and
longer lenses wide open is more chancey.

James H. Barker (Jim) - jbarker@polarnet.com
High Latitude Documentary / Ethnographic Photography
Fairbanks, Alaska