Subject: [Leica] HELP! Leicaflex SL focusing screen info needed.
From: Myers Pete <MyersPete@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:54:07 EST

Dear LUGnuts:

As some of you know, I am seeking a solution to the 'grit' problem of the R8
focusing screen. I have used all of the replacment screens and have had them
'coated' for brightness and still hate them all. Modern 'laser matte' screens
are just tons smoother and brighter.

I am working with Maxwell Labs to find a solution of my camera. We are looking
for a 'donor' screen that we can adapt to the R8.

I understand that the Leicaflex SL screen is very interesing. It has a coarse
microprism screen in the center and a fine screen elsewhere. It is suppose to
be very bright and focus exteremely well.

First, is this true??????

Second, if it is true, how come this type of screen has been abandoned by
Leica?

Third, is it possible to get an SL screen without buying a vintage SL camera
to go with it? Are there parts out there? If so, where??

I greatly appreciate your thoughts. For me, this is when the full power of
having 500 LUG members comes in to play. I am grateful to be able to be a part
of this list.

Pete Myers