Subject: RE: [Leica] Black Star 60 Years + Leica 75 yrs...
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 00:17:17 -0500

<<<<<<Black Star 60 Years + 75 years of Leica Photography>>>>>>>..

It seems everyone is into the Black Star 60 Years book, which from all
accounts is a smashing success and I have one on order like many of you.

However, how many of you have "75 Years of Leica Photography." ?

If you want a book to fire you up and just chomping to go out and shoot,
"like it doesn't matter what, man I just have to get out and do some
picture taking with my Leica!!!!" kinda feeling. Then get yourself a copy
of  "75 Years of Leica Photography."

Every photographer in it has only one picture! It's the great equalizer of
the greats and unknowns with the common bond "they all use Leica!" And
that's what makes it such a wonderful book for inspiration! It's like my
picture Bible when I'm feeling down and need a pick me up!

HCB only has one! David Douglas Duncan, Robert Capa, Mary Ellen Mark,
Sabastiao Salgado, ted grant, Nick Rogers, Pepi Merisio, Eddie Adams!  All
only one picture!

There are some wonderful photographs to study and learn from. The light,
captured moments in time, the obvious split second of tripping the shutter
release at exactly the right moment. If you don't have one, I know you can
get them through the Leica Gallery in New York and you sure wont be sorry,
it's an enjoyable, interesting and informative book.

There are quotations from a number of photographers, but this one from HCB
says it all!  I quote it because it typifies how many of us feel about our
cameras. I'm sure you'll say, "Yes, that's right! I know just what he
means!" :)

Henri Cartier Bresson taken from "75 Years of Leica Photography":

"Once, I can't remember where, someone asked me what I thought of Leica.
And I answered that Leica could be like a big passionate kiss, or then
again like a shot from a gun or the couch of a psychoanalyst. You can do
anything with a Leica."

So have you "Kissed Your Leica Today?" :)

And there are all kinds of quotations from many photographers plus a great
deal of plain ordinary every day Leica information. Many answers to the
questions seen on the LUG.

OK I've said my piece so get out there and get one! :)  And while your at
it, don't forget a copy of "60 Years of Black Star."

ted